Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Deep in the Heart of Texas!

Howdy Y'all! And welcome to the Lonestar state!

I will preface today's post with the statement that I am completely biased for Texas. Born and raised in the small town of Refugio, I have lived in some part of Texas for most of my life. It was Friday night Football (Go Bobcats!), barbecues in the country, driving the main drag and summer vacations at a pool, a beach or a lake! It fits me. I love the hot weather and I love that it's called the Lonestar State because there are many days that I am a "Lonestar" myself. Okay, enough about me because we have a lot to cover! I will never be able to do the areas justice so I'll provide you with the official Travel Texas website HERE.

Have you ever heard that saying, "Everything's bigger in Texas"? Well, Texas is the second largest state in the US. It will take you approximately 14 hours to drive North to South and about 12 hours to drive East to West. It takes 6 to 7 hours for me to visit my family in Refugio or them to visit me... which is the reason why they haven't been to see me! I'm not bitter and I digress.

There are 7 regions to Texas. I'm not going to name each one but we'll start in the Dallas Fort Worth and surrounding areas up in the Northeast part of Texas because that's where highlowaha.com and the Taste of USA is being typed from. (But not the Bean Counters part, ain't technology cool!) I hate to say this but this is not my favorite part of Texas. But, there is always something going on and lots of events to attend. Sports fans get the whole enchilada here, from football, to hockey, to basketball and baseball. Then there are endless numbers of zoos and museums and music events to attend. And the other part I like is being so close to the DFW airport. If you're a travel bug it makes it is so easy to go. And if you're not a travel bug then you certainly appreciate the convenience.

In the Texas Panhandle, you'll discover the Texas Tech Red Raiders. This spot is dear to me because I started my college career in Lubbock, Texas... shout out to the Schwarzentraubs!!! And you'll also find the famous town of Amarillo. According to George, you've got to be there by morning. Amarillo is also home of the Cadillac Ranch, which I believe you can go and spray paint the cars if you want. Someone that's been there give us the scoop! But other than that, I'm usually only travelling through this area.

I grew up in the middle of the Gulf Coast region which is why I probably love going to the beach so much. Going to college in Corpus Christi wasn't so bad. Classes in the morning, beach in the afternoon. Aw, the good ole days! This region covers the whole coastal area... From Louisiana down to Brownsville and on to the border. That covers a lot of ground, like all of the regions do. Houston is the largest city in this region (and in the state) and it's dotted by smaller cities and towns down the coast.

San Antonio's River Walk is one of my favorite places. It's just so festive! San Antonio is also home of the Alamo. There's a lot of history in the region. History buffs can travel all over Texas and find historical markers like the one in Goliad, Presido La Bahia. I'm not a history aficionado but I know it was important to the state of Texas.

We have a family reunion every year in the small town of Wimberley. Think small town! It's so cute. We rent a cabin from the Univeristy every year and swim in the river. And, Austin is just one of the most diverse and beautiful cities in Texas. Think Live Music! Growing up in my college years, floating down the Frio River was an annual event. Drum roll, please.... this is my favorite part of Texas. San Antonio, Austin, San Marcos and the New Braunfels areas and over to the hill country really is a beautiful area. Floating the river, beautiful rolling hills covered in bluebonnets, lots of little artsy towns and big city attractions. It's the perfect blend of city girl meets country girl.

I read this article last year and I have a dream of driving from small west Texas town to small west Texas town. Running into rodeos and cowboys and local diners and just all things Texas. If you click on the words up there (this article) you can read about two girls and road trip adventure trying to find authentic Texas places. They actually hits some towns I've been to and I would want to branch out even further west. Road Trip! To add on to that, when I become independently wealthy and don't have to work anymore, I am going to just travel Texas and hit all the small town and big city festivals!

One of the best festivals to go to is Wurstfest! Maybe I can wrangle up some of highlowaha friends and we can all go Polka Dance in November! What's your favorite festival?

There is just a ton of music in Texas and that is one of my personal HIGHS! There's nothing like some great songs to lift your spirits (Maybe you need some happy tunes this week, Claudia) and get your toes a tapping and your face a grinning! And, there are a ton of songs about Texas or Texas cities it was darn hard picking one out for you but I chose Lyle Lovett's That Right because he says, "That's right, you're not from Texas. Texas wants you anyway!"

Whew! I am worn out talking about Texas and I know there's all bunch more!

So, on Friday, May 23rd let's all meet on the Bluebonnet Deck to let everyone know why Texas is the Taste of USA!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only fun fact I have about Texas is that the I heard Dallas is going to have some Snow in July this year!

Anonymous said...

As long as that is some "Heather Snow" and not the white flaky stuff! I would DIE! Die, I tell you!

maureen said...

The only thing I can say about Texas is that one of my oldest and dearest frieds (Claudia) lives there!

Oh yeah and you people from Texas that I have met on highlowaha seem really friendly and a bit (crazy) in a good way!!!!

But I may have to pass on the purple boots (sorry Cassie)...

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Yes, Snow is in the forecast and I can't wait!

Maureen... a visit to Texas must be in your future. Once you see purple cowboy boots up close, you might change your mind.

Start looking for a date.

My fun Texas tidbit... There is a restaurant on Greenville Avenue, in Dallas, that I love! It is called Ozona's. What makes it so great?... First, it is as much fun to visit in the winter as the summer. In the winter, small fireplaces are lit throughout - giving the place a very cozy feel. In the summer, you can sit on their big patios. Whether inside or outside, you will love the warm salsa and chips along with a soft drink served in BIG (Texas-sized) tumblers.

Anonymous said...

Dallas, TX is the city that has the the most restaurants per capita.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Nice factoid, Quynh. I did not know that. Wanna pick one and have lunch together?

Anonymous said...

Oh Cheryl- You forgot to mention Vernon's Bar in Corpus Christi... where back in the early 90's you could throw peanuts on the floor... and have a really cute flyboy buy you a cold beer... ahh...the memories!

The Griffin Family said...

AHHH! Ozona's...yum! My mouth is watering. What about Snuffers? Do those cheese fries really have 2000 calories?

I love Texas! I moved to a small community called The Woodlands (outside of Houston) when I was 7 years old. My parents lived there until about three years ago when they moved back to their "home" in PA. Growing up in Texas, getting my undergraduate degree from SMU, and then living there for a short time after graduation gives me nearly 20 years of "Texan!"

When I moved to DC in early 2001, the city nearly felt like Texas after President Bush took office. I was constantly running into Texans and hearing "ya'll...I'm fixin' to...(fill in the blank with any action word!)" Those who weren't from Texas would just give blank stares...

I have so many memories and good Texas stories, but nothing is as good as REAL TEX MEX and margaritas!

Chaotic Kristi said...

how did you manage to mention Austin without talking about Amy's Ice Cream?!?! 14% butterfat makes this icecream music across my lips!

Cheryl Houston said...

I had to leave stuff for you to tell me!

I'm not the world traveller that you think I am. :) I've never been to Amy's Ice Cream. Come tell us about it on tomorrow's post!