Monday, May 19, 2008

Sweet Home Alabama

If there was ever a song that made me wish I could be from some place it's Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama. As soon as those first notes are played and he says, "Turn it up!" I'm hooked and moving to Alabama where the skies are so blue! You can listen and see this version I found on youtube below.
This is a good state for us to start with because I've actually been there! (And I've only been to about a quarter of them so don't worry, you won't have to re-live too many of my vacations.) My favorite spot in Alabama is down in Gulf Shores. I'm a beach girl and Alabama has some lovely coast areas. My ex-in-laws have a little condo down in Gulf Shores and I look forward to my boys having many adventures of fishing, crabbing and beach combing. Did you even know they had a beach in Alabama? Well, they do! And, it's a gorgeous area. Alabama is split into four regions: the Mountain Region, the Metropolitan Region, the River Heritage Region, and the Gulf Coast Region. If you want to learn more about Alabama just visit http://www.800alabama.com/.

Home of the Auburn Tigers and the Crimson Tide! Who's side are you on? And while we're talking about sports, did you know that the King of Home Runs, Hank Aaron, was born in Alabama? Yep, right there in Mobile way back in 1934. (He'll always be the King of Home Runs to me. You know he wasn't on steroids.) But, sadly enough for the men of Alabama, there are no professional sports teams to cheer for. Go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong.

The fun facts are:

Alabama is known as the Heart of Dixie.

It's state bird is the yellowhammer.

It's state flower is the Camellia.

And, it's state insect is the Monarch Butterfly.

Funny, I thought every southern state claimed the mosquito for the state insect!

Now, meet me on the Cotton Deck on Friday, May 23rd and tell me what makes Alabama the Taste of USA!!

8 comments:

Cheryl Houston said...

See, this how this works... You're from Alabama and you comment that you are an Auburn Tiger fan to the core! Or, in December of 1989 you drove to Birmingham with your cousin and his friend to go watch Texas Tech play in the All-American Bowl. Go Raiders! Or, hey, my friend's husbands family lives in Alabama- Shout out Grimes Family in Alabama!

See how that works?

By the way, the Raiders won!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

I want to participate so badly, I'm racking my brain for something else I can contribute about Alabama. Other than my friend Corrie who lives there and works at the University of Alabama, I have very little.

How about, years ago while visiting a boyfriend in Pennsacola, Florida, we went to a bar called Floribama. I think it literally borders both states. Fun, fun, fun.

Cheryl Houston said...

Florabama! I've been there! It was an off night though... it was kind of one of those times that I thought, "Damn, I'm getting too old for this." Of course, it could have been the company I was in.

It's a quiet day on the homefronts... the sunshine must have eaten their brain cells and they're still sitting out by the pool!

Anonymous said...

Alabama...I have so much to say. The majority of my family on my Mom's side live in a small town named Florence. We made many trips there each year and always stayed on the lake.
I remember the W.C. Handy Jazz festival that took place each summer. Visiting Ivy Green, the birthplace of Helen Keller located in Tuscumbia. You can even catch a nightime play of "The Miracle Worker" performed in an out door ampitheater. Downtown Florence offers an authentic drugstore soda shop and Trollbridges an authentic diner/restaurant worth checking out. Florence is also the home of University of North Alabama whose mascot is Leo the Lion. The cool part of this is that they have an actual lion on campus you can visit and interact with.
Of course if you have time and kids traveling to Huntsville and checking out the Space center is pretty neat. I loved visiting there when I was a kid. I always wanted to go to space camp, but never did.
Gulf Shores is an awesome beach and the white sands and crystal clear waters make it worth checking out.

-Patrick

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Patrick... you should work for Alabama tourism. Anyone with a birthday in late July or August should get their picture taken with Leo the Lion.

The Griffin Family said...

Alabama...the only association I have to the state is through my sister and brother, who both attended the University of Alabama. My brother graduated last May and during his college years, became good friends with "Al" (the Alabama mascot). So, following graduation, Al made an appearance at my brother's apartment to say "hello" to my two nephews. Preston, just two, wasn't sure what to think...while Davis, just an infant, wasn't phased at all by an large elephant in his midst.

I will be sure to forward a picture, with the hopes that it might be included.

ROLL TIDE!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Alison... Love the story about the mascot showing up at your brother's apartment. What a TREAT! Send the pic for sure and our ever-talented Cheryl will get post it on the site.

Anonymous said...

War Eagle!!!! My in-laws both attended Auburn and therefore my husband is a die-hard fan. We've been to two games at Jordan-Hare Stadium and despite my "Yankee" upbringing I am now a proud Tiger too!
A shout out to Aunt Dee and the Williams family!