Thursday, May 29, 2008

What do Michigan & Tennessee have in common?

Hmmm... they're both in the US and they're sharing today's post on Taste of USA. I'm sorry that's all I can come up with. Two more states that I have not been to.

Okay, so without consulting the Internet, I think Michigan. Great Lakes, Detroit, Brrrr.... cold. Now, think Tennessee. Nashville, Titans, Memphis, Grand Ole Opry. Opry not O'Pry... see the difference people. Personal pet peeve of mine. Moving on.

Let's discover Michigan first. Michigan is unique in that it is divided into two sections. The Upper Peninsula and the Lower Peninsula. The two peninsulas are connected with the Mackinac Bridge... or Big Mac. Other than Alaska, Michigan has the most shoreline with 3,177 miles of it touching the four Great Lakes. Can you name the Great Lakes? I cannot without looking. They are Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, Lake Huron and Lake Erie. I love the Internet. Okay, it says that Michigan boasts a thriving recreational industry and I would not have guess that. They lead the nation with approximately one million registered pleasure boats. Huh, now I know.

If you want to go to Michigan you can plan your trip here. But I am only going in the summer months. Why? Because it's darn cold in the winter and summer is when they have all their festivals! You know how I love a festival, right? Well, they have Strawberry Festivals, Blueberry Festivals, Sugar Festival, Cherryfest, Cityfest, Pig Roasts, UP Hog Wild Cook offs, Bologna festival and my favorite... a Cheeseburger Festival! Say it with me, "Yum."

The only large city that I can come up with is Detroit which makes me think cars. Low and behold, the Model T was created right there in Detroit way back in 1908. You can read more about Henry Ford and the Ford Motor Company here. They even have a museum.

So, you can go to lots of beaches in Michigan and they have plenty of other cultural and historical places you can visit. Check out this photo of the farmers market. Are those flower beautiful or what?



Other historical or botanical places you can go are the Gerald Ford Presidential Library and Museum in Ann Arbor, the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids, or go cheer for the Michigan Wolverines also in Ann Arbor. And the funniest city name ever goes to Kalamazoo, Michigan. HA! I love it.

The last place I want to share with you is about Urban Fairies. Am I the last one to hear about this phenomenon. I guess Ann Arbor is blessed with a bunch of fairies running around because doors are popping up everywhere. It's the cutest thing ever and I want my own fairy door! The thing that really caught my eye was this.



Claudia, do you have fairies living in your house?

Fun facts for Michigan are the official reptile is the painted turtle, the flower is the apple blossom and the official bird is the Red Robin.



Come one, come all Wolverines! Meet on the Cheeseburger Festival Deck on Friday, May 30th to tell us what makes Michigan the Taste of USA!




Welcome to Tennessee and the Smoky Mountains. Something I was drawn to right from the start about Tennessee was it's love for music. Memphis is the birthplace of the blues. Nashville is the capital of country music. They claim about eleven songs as official state songs. That's my kind of state. I love there quarter. Very cool.



The official dance is the square dance. Fun! And the homeland of no one else but the King of Rock and Roll... Elvis Presley and Graceland! My friend, Cassie Nowell, and I would put our sleeping bags in her living room floor and watch Elvis movies. I always fell asleep before the end but I love those memories. So, if you're going to Tennessee, you have to go to Graceland. Which Elvis was your favorite?

There's just so much music in this state, I can't stand it. Beale Street is the historic district where legendary greats like B.B. King and Isaac Hayes and W.C. Handy have played. Then there's the Grand Ole Opry that started as a radio broadcast in 1925 where people began coming to the station to see the performances and it just grew and grew from there into the tradition of country music it is today. And, what about Loretta Lynn? The coal miner's daughter was born in Tennessee as was Dolly Parton and Hank Williams. And so many more!

I'm just going on and on about the musical history of the state and there's got to be a ton more to cover. I know there has to be lots of hiking and camping areas with the Smoky Mountains and the Appalachian Trails. They're nicknamed the Volunteer State for the thousands of Tennesseans that enlisted in the War of 1812. And Davey Crockett was from Tennessee.

The best place to go to plan a vacation to Tennessee is here. You're bound to have a grand ole time!

Fun facts for Tennessee are the official reptile is the Eastern Box Turtle, the butterfly is the Zebra Swallowtail and the flower is the Iris.



All Tennesseans meet on the Blues deck on Friday, May 30th to let us know what makes Tennessee the Taste of USA!

Take us out Elvis!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now today is a day I can get behind because, my limited travelling has taken me to both Michigan and Tennessee on multiple occasions.
so here goes:

Michigan: Check out Charlevoix which is a beautiful town tucked into the left hand tip of the LP. And while your there skip on over to East Jordan which has the quaintest little bowling alley bar you'll ever go into.
Also, of course you have Mackinac Island and Mackinac City which are both great attractions to visit. For those that aren't familiar with Mackinac Island they have preserved the Island by not allowing any gas powered vehicles (no cars, no modern lawn mowers, nothing) just horse drawn carriages, bicycles made for two and a great walking trail (not to mention some of the best fudge you'll ever eat!)

Tennessee: Most of my journeys have taken me THROUGH Tennessee but I will say that the Smokey Mountains are a great weekend destination. Rent a chalet for about the cost of a hotel room and enjoy all the amenities and a great mountain view.