Thursday, May 22, 2008

Three Times Thursday

We have a lot of ground to cover so I'll try to keep us moving

Let's start with Washington, DC... technically- not a "state" but it is the capital of all capitals and an important area of the US, so roll with it!
If it was a state it would be ranked as the smallest state in area, second to last in population but the first in population density. Don't you just love math! The area was supposed to be a 10 mile square but for some reason the land on the Virginia side was retro ceded in the 19th century but why? Come on history buffs. I can't begin to talk about the number of monuments, museums and other places to go and see here! It's overwhelming! I've never been and want to go. But, hey, unless you fabulous readers give me some tips, I'll need a month for sure to see everything. Their official travel site is located HERE. Under the Experience DC links, they have all different kinds of way to see DC... Foodie, Kidzone, or Knowledge Seeker are just a few options. And if you are a sports nut... DC has it all!
Okay- all you people from the DC area come gather on the Smithsonian Deck to tell us what makes Washington DC the Taste of USA!
We'll meet you there on Friday, May 23rd!
That's tomorrow!
We're pulling up anchor and sailing to Massachusetts- the Bay State. Famous for the Boston Tea Party way back in 1773 the state has also sent four of her own sons to become US Presidents: John F Kennedy, John Adams, John Quincy Adams and George Herbert Walker Bush. And, all of those presidents were born in the same county now known as the County of Presidents- Norfolk County.
For such a small state, Massachusetts sure does seem to be packed with stuff to do! They claim it at this site. There's so much to do in Massachusetts they have to run a new ad every day. I know I would love to be able to afford (financially and time wise) to go to Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Island. What can I say? I love the beach! What's your favorite part of Massachusetts? Maybe you prefer the Greater Boston area. For the male popluation, Massachusetts may be a small state as far as square miles but they have a lot of great teams to cheer for. The New England Patriots have always been a favorite of mine. What? I was infatuated with Drew Bledsoe! Be sure to include your favorite team!
Some fun facts for Massachusetts:
The state dog is the Boston Terrier. The state flower is the mayflower. The state insect is the ladybug.

(Hi Diana in Utah! Is that a sign?)

Bay Staters be sure to join us on the Tea Party Deck on Friday, May 23rd to tell us what makes Massachusetts the Taste of USA.

Now, be sure you have your bathing suit packed, Claudia, because we're headed to Hawaii! Aloha! Did you know that our 50th state, Hawaii, is comprised of 132 islands? You just hear about the eight main islands because the other 124 only total about 3 square miles... good reason, I guess. When I think of Hawaii, I think of beautiful sandy beaches, clear ocean and lagoon waters, luaus, and pigs roasting on a open fire. Where's my fruity drink with the umbrella? But wait. Two of the five volcanoes that have created the island are still active. Scary! From these volcanoes, you not only have the beaches that I dream about but you have cliffs that rise straight up from the waters edge and lush green valleys with gorgeous waterfalls.

And all I have to say is surfs up! But watch out. Expert zone only! The waves can be brutal at 20 feet high! I'll just watch, thank you! Check out this video of Laird Campbell surfing. Awesome!
I've only scratched the surface here! So you locals fill in the rest aboutHawaii. I know Claudia is cheering for you!
All Hawaiians are to meet on the Pineapple Deck on Friday, May 23rd to tell us what makes Hawaii the Taste of USA! Aloha!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Washington D.C is a pretty neat place I must agree. I have one reccomendation when site seeing. The Holocaust Museum is incredible and in some ways I would say it was life changing for me. There is so much to see and to know. The stories of survival and tragedy are beyond moving.

Anonymous said...

Washington D.C. is definitely a cool town...so much energy and history is made each day! There are so many museums and historical sites to visit as well! Just want to say hi to my friend Aisha who lives in D.C.

Massachusetts is another favorite state, especially Boston. I was there for the ACPA conference in 2001 during graduate school and had the chance to explore the city. There are so many college students there because Harvard, MIT, Boston College just to name a few are in such close proximity. Just want to say hi to my friend Sammi who lives in Boston.

Since I live in California, Hawaii is a great place for vacation because the flight isn't too long. I've visited three islands..Oahu,Kauai, and Maui. Each island is unique in its own way but all very beautiful! The drive to Hana is beautiful in Maui, Oahu has some amazing restaurants, and Kauai has endless outdoor adventures. Finally, just want to say hi to my friend Maile who lives in Oahu, who is so lucky she gets to travel to many of the nearby islands since she works in Admissions.

Cheryl Houston said...

Great input quynh! Thanks.

I would like to say hello to my cousin Lauren. I think she's still in DC. Hey Lauren!

Anonymous said...

I'll comment on Hawaii - everyone has to go to the Arizona memorial in Pearl Harbor. It's so moving - there's a secret too - I won't share it because you have to see it to believe it. I went to Hawaii for a friend's wedding (she's a native). It was beautiful. Not many people can get a perfect rainbow over the church as they say their vows. Plus, there was hand-rolled sushi at the reception - we don't get that in IL - we get beer and brats.

Anonymous said...

I've only driven through DC once, but I'm going to a wedding there in August -- very much looking forward to site seeing.

No real connect to Mass or Hawaii, other than a friend, David Gilbert, who went to grad school in Hawaii.

I also have to add that I was so impressed that Mass. has a 'State Dog' that I had to do some research to find out how many states have them. [answer = 9].

close2it said...

I've only been to DC once but absolutely loved it. So much to see and do...each thing so different and eye opening. While there, my in-laws took me to a small park that I had seen in many of their old family photos called the Awakening. It's a large statue made to look like a man emerging from the ground. There's not much purpose to it (that I know of, anyways) but is such a cool site and makes great pictures.

I'm hoping to get down some time to see the cherry blossoms, which I've heard are simply beautiful.

The Griffin Family said...

So, I live in Alexandria, VA...BUT, for those who are not from this area, I really tell friends (old and new) that I live in Washington, DC. If you consider that for four years, I worked on Capitol Hill which meant that I really did live in Washington, DC. I spent more time in my office and in the Capital building than I did in my own home.

I moved this direction in 2001 after finishing my MEd at UGA in College Student Affairs Administration. I have always loved politics and there was a unique opportunity to take a fellowship with the House Education & Workforce Committee on higher education issues. I was awarded the fellowship, and loved it so much that it eventually became a full-time job and I stayed in this area.

I have had some amazing experiences while in DC - from viewing President Reagan's casket in the Capital Rotunda, to making a grand appearance a few times on C-SPAN on the House floor, to sitting in the White House for a bill signing ceremony with President Bush.

The city is amazing - young, transient and full of energy! I am happy to be a tour guide to anyone who wants to visit. DC is a must-see for everyone, regardless of age!!