Friday, May 23, 2008

Let the Fun Begin!

Today's the Day! It's here! It's here! It's here! To get your points for Alabama, New Mexico, Texas, DC, Massachusetts or Hawaii post in the comment section the THING that makes your state the Taste of USA today!
Don't forget! Your challenge for extra points this week is to post the headlines from your local newspaper. If you send me photos, I will add them in today's post!
Welcome to the Cotton Deck

Hey, look everybody! It's Big Al and the boys!

Thanks to Allison for sharing that photo from Alabama!

We have recommendations to go to Gulf Shores, Florabama, and Florence. We have shout outs to the Grimes, to Corrie, to Patrick's family in Florence and Anonymous' Aunt Dee and the Williams family! And we even had a little friendly rivalry with the Roll Tide and a Tiger! :)

On the Turquoise Deck Claudia got engaged to the wrong person in New Mexico but it all worked out. Quynh suggests to go in late July- early August for hiking, biking, river rafting and more. Katie is shouting out to Jo Marie! And, here is a tribute to Claudia's love for the Partridge Family!

Hola on the Bluebonnet Deck!

I expect to see a lot of great comments here because I Love Texas and I know you Texans do too. It was pointed out that DFW has the most restaurants per capita. And that's great because I love food, too! My Houston friend, Kelly, pointed out in an email to me that I didn't make one mention of Mexican food and was I feeling okay? So, if you're in Bedford check out Miguelito's and if you're ever Refugio, go to Moya's Cafe. Yummy! Claudia likes Ozona's on Greenville.

We're expecting Snow in July! Welcome, Heather and family! And it sounds like Maureen had purple cowboy boots in her future! Y'all got practice your Howdys, Y'alls and Yee Haws.

My friend DeDe reminded me late last night that I also forgot about the bar in Corpus Christi called Vernon's where you throw your peanut shells on the floor. And, way back then, we waited for cute fly-boys to buy us beer. (Or not so cute. I don't remember being too picky.) Um, yeah, too much beer was consumed in that bar and that was just me! DeDe, I hope you chime in today with what you like best about Texas!

On the Smithsonian Deck

That's the sculpture Close2it was talking about. Patrick recommends the Holocaust Museum as a life changing experience. Quynh shouts out to Aisha and I was shouting to Lauren. Everyone is recommending DC as a great place to go. And at about 11:00pm last night, The Griffin Family graciously offered to be tour guide to anyone who want to go. How about that!

On the Tea Party Deck

Quynh likes the Massachusetts area and shouts out to Sammi. Is that all I got? Come on Bay Staters!

On the Pineapple Deck

Anonymous recommends the Arizona memorial in Pearl Harbor. Good call since I totally missed that! Quynh must not have any problem find places to stay because they are shouting out to Maile in Oahu now! Treye is thinking of David Gilbert.

Ooh, and will find out which other states claim their own dog? Stay Tuned!

Our next states up are: Alaska, Idaho, New York, Tennessee & Michigan.

And hey, I am taking Monday off for Memorial Day. You go ahead and take the day off, too. You just tell your boss I said so.

If you or any of your family members are in any branch of military, thank you, thank you, thank you for all that you do! We are the most fortunate people in the world and I appreciate you.

Until Tuesday!

6 comments:

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cheryl... my hats off to you. I am totally impressed with yours summary of the week! Thanks for all the hard work. Thanks to you, I'm going to places I've never been before.

Taste of USA said...

Claudia, you are welcome and thank you for inviting me. I'm having fun doing it.

Griffin Family added another comment under Texas last night... they like Ozona's too and margaritas. All I can add to that is YUM!

Anonymous said...

Cheryl-
I am impressed and you did an Awesome job. I really enjoyed learning a bit more about each state. This is really cool.
So...here is a thought. Perhaps Cheryl should accompany Highlowaha to the brainstorming session?
p.s. my campus is dead today...I think everyone took off today except me.

Cheryl Houston said...

COME ON HAWAII!!! Patrick has suggested that I go with Claudia!!!

Thanks Patrick!

Anonymous said...

Wow,

This looks great!! I want to show some state pride (Florida),but there's so much going on here, I'm at a loss.

Can we just have a big map where I get to click on Florida and post my comment for the sunshine state? It took me awhile to figure out where to post this.

Thanks!

Taste of USA said...

Welcome Simple Floridian! We haven't yet featured Florida so can you keep tuning in until we do? I'm not sure when Florida is up to be featured but I know it's not in May. Next week is Alaska, Idaho, Michigan, Tennessee and.... one more I can't remember and I'm being completely lazy. I hope you will chime in on the other states that you have been to as well. Thanks for tuning in!

Cheryl