Thursday, June 5, 2008

Tarheels and Everything Grand

Today we're visiting North Carolina and Arizona. Welcome! Let's get started with North Carolina.

Known as the Tar heel State. Of course, there are conflicting stories about a Civil War battle as to why North Carolina is called the Tar heel State but part of the reason is because tar was one of the state's major products.

They say the climate is mild winters and comfortable summers with North Carolina offers everything from the Smoky Mountains to beautiful beaches. One of the reasons I really want to go to North Carolina is because my favorite book series by Diana Gabaldon has part of the series in North Carolina. It's the Outlander Series and I could do a whole post on the six books that I've read twice but I won't. Jamie and Claire are "relocated" to the colonies and they build their settlement in the mountains of North Carolina. The books are filled with time travel, history, love, adventure and so much more.

North Carolina has three regions. First the Mountain Region with Appalachian mountains running through the west and the Great Smoky Mountains in the southwest area. The world famous Blue Ridge Parkway winds through the mountains unfolding beautiful scenery and the fall boast a brilliant show of colors. You even have that wonderful past time of skiing and snowboarding.

The second region is the Piedmont covering about half of the state with gentle rolling foothills. You'll find beautiful golf courses, wine tours or just shop till you drop. This is the region where you'll find cities like Lexington and Raleigh.

The third region is the Coastal region with white sandy beaches and light houses dotting the shorelines. Discover Cape Fear, Brunswick or Crystal Coast. And, that's just a few of the areas.



One of the interesting things about North Carolina is it's was home to the first flight. December 17, 1903 at Kitty Hawk, the Wright Brothers flew the first powered plane.

The fun facts are: the state dog (our 2nd) is the plott hound, the state flower is the dogwood and the state shell is the scotch bonnet (pronounced bonay).

All Tar heels join us on the Flight Deck tomorrow, June 6th to tell us what makes North Carolina the Taste of USA.



Now, from the mild winters and comfortable summers let's head over to Arizona where the monthly average highs are 105 making it THE Hottest State. Welcome to Arizona! I hope you brought your water bottle. The fun facts for Arizona are the state bird is the cactus wren, the state flower is the saguaro cactus blossom and the state frog is the tree frog.

I've actually been to Arizona and the Grand Canyon on that trip I told you about when we talked about New Mexico. I don't remember much of it but below are photos of me standing in Arizona at the Four Corners National Monument. My brother, Lloyd, is in New Mexico. It's the only place in the US that you can stand in four states at one time. Then, in the middle is Lloyd at the Petrified Forest National Park in Painted Desert. And, at the end we are at the Grand Canyon. Yeah. I need to go back because I don't remember that.



Remember when I was talking about liking the state nicknames... well, Arizona has a bunch of them. The Grand Canyon State, the Copper State, the Apache State, the Aztec State, the Valentine State, the Sand Hill State, the Sunset State, Italy of America and my favorite, the Baby State on account they were the last of the contiguous 48 states be admitted to the union.

When I think Arizona for some reason I think resorts, dude ranches, Route 66, deserts, and spas. Is any of that close? They have something called the Dream 18 for all you golfers. I'm only good for 12 holes and their boasting 5,400. Whew! That's a lot of swinging!

While we're on sports let me just mention the Arizona Diamondbacks (baseball), the Phoenix Sun (basketball), NHL Coyotes, and the Arizona Cardinals (football). And with all that great weather, they shouldn't miss any practices. Well, maybe for heat stroke.

There's plenty to do and plenty to see in Arizona and I need all of you Arizonans to help me out because I know I'm just barely scratching the surface here. I expect good things from you!

All Arizonans meet on the Saguaro Cactus Deck (watch your step, please) tomorrow, Friday, June 6th to tell us what makes Arizona the Taste of USA!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your brother and your son look lots alike.

Anonymous said...

I have affiliations with both Arizona and North Carolina!.

First, Arizona... home of my alma mater... Arizona State University. What a great place to have gone to college and to have lived.

Some of my most vivid Arizona memories...
Standing at the street light across from my residence hall and feeling the sun BEATING down on my calves.
Being an Resident Assistant and loving it.
Making great friends like Shay, Lori, Dawn, and Craig.
Working at Yogurt Oasis... the college hot spot back in the day.
... To name just a few.

Now North Carolina...
Well my sister went to college in North Carolina, at Duke University. She loved it and the few times I visited her, it seemed like a great campus.
I also lived in North Carolina for a few years. Wilmington to be exact. It is a great beach town and, at the time, not overly commercialized.
I was fortunate enough to live there at the same time as one of my dearest friends, Debbie. We had fun paling around the state together.
I also had a North Carolinian boyfriend - Hunter. Good guy... now, I think, living in CA.

My only other association with NC is my friend just recently moved to the Charolette area.

That's it for now.