Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Welcome to the Land of 10,000 Lakes

I'm starting to really like finding the nicknames that are given to states. Minnesota has a bunch of them. One of them in the title. Others are The North Star State, the Bread and Butter State, The Wheat State, New England of the West and finally, The Gopher State. Minnesotans were having it out between the gopher and the beaver and a political cartoon featuring the gopher circulated throughout the area and the beaver was history.

Now, where are we going to start on our tour? Okay- this is the coolest part of the Travel to Minnesota website: My Favorite Minnesota. It's videos and pictures posted to the site about their favorite spots. It is so cool!

It looks like this is going to be an adventure, camp like vacation. The state boasts hiking, camping, fishing, hunting and that's just the beginning. It sounds like a guys dream vacation! Somebody tell me where the mall is? Just kidding. Kind of.



You know I love festivals and this weekend in Minneapolis is Famous Dave's BBQ & Blues Festival. BBQ and music. My favorite. In Nisswa this weekend you can go to the Nisswa Stamman Scandinavian Festival. And just for variety, go over to Luverne for the Buffalo Days. I did a search for this summer events and festivals and surely you can find something for you because it returned 829 events. I love you but I am not going through them all!



Okay football fans. I have some bad new for Minnesota Viking fans. The Vikings have been to the Super Bowl 4 times. And, they never won. But, hey, I love purple!



I'm pretty sure you'll find me in the Twin Cities on my Minnesota vacation. Minneapolis and St. Paul are the metro areas that feature the theater, orchestra and lots of museums. One of the more popular museums is the Minnesota Children's Museum for ages 6 months through 10 year olds can experience everything hands on.



Fun Fact for Minnesota are: the pink and white lady slipper is the state flower and the state bird is the common loon.



All Minnesotans meet on the Lake Deck on Friday, June 6th to tell us what makes Minnesota the Taste of USA!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When talking about Minnesota, how can you forget the Mall of America?! I don't even like shopping, but this was one amazing place!

I've only ben to MN was when I went to the NACURH conference in 2002 (I think it was then). It was on this trip that I ate my first burrito from Chipotle...now I'm in love. So, to everyone I was there with, thanks for making me eat there!

Happy Wednesday to you all!

Cheryl Houston said...

Somebody Slap Me!

How in the world did I miss Mall of America?

I must be sick! Yep, a little fever going.

Katie said...

I have only been to Minnesota once and it was how many of my summers as a kid were spent- at baseball tournaments! So, what I can say is that the weather is GREAT...even during the dead of summer. Also, the one day off we had from baseball games we spent at the Mall of America and it was AMAZING. At the time, I was only 10 or 11, so I wasn't much into shopping (heck, I'm still not!), but what I did LOVE was the Lego center, the roller coaster, and the water lagoon. Plus, you can't ignore the fact that is breath-taking to see that many floors of shops in ONE mall! It surely is a sight to see....and one fun afternoon for a kid!!!

Cheryl Houston said...

Screw Hawaii!

Come on Minnesota!

Anonymous said...

The only thing I have to say about Minnesota is that... it is where Obama sealed his candidacy. Not that I want to talk politics, but I would have much preferred last night's real celebration being hosted in South Dakota.

I have six months to come around.