Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Welcome to the Magnolia State!

Do they still teach this in school? M-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-hump back, hump back, I.

Named for the second longest river that boarders the west coast of the state, Mississippi is heavily forested. The state is also known as the lowlands because the highest point is only 806 feet above sea level. The state has had a history of flooding dating back over 200 years. Mississippi is a state deep rooted in it's history and they are doing their best to preserve it.

Do you know where the Teddy Bear originated? Right there in Mississippi, that's where! The story goes like this. Teddy Roosevelt went down to the Mississippi area to settle a border dispute. I guess Teddy was an avid hunter and while he was there the local folks wanted to take Teddy hunting. Hunting for bears. But, the hunting was poor. Someone actually captured a bear, probably a cub and offered the cub to Teddy to shoot. Teddy refused as it wasn't a sporting shoot. The cartoon below was published in the Washington Post and it then was published all across the US catching everyone's attention. The Mitchom's up in New York were inspired to make a little stuffed bear and they named it Teddy. Voila!



Old plantation style homes like The Verandah Curlee House are spread throughout the state. The one pictured below is Dunleith Plantation in Natchez. If you are going to be in a certain area of Mississippi you can search for historical home tours and many other historical attractions HERE.



In the Hills Region, we'll find Corinth. Somebody tell me what a Slug Burger is! Hey, I don't know but it's a festival!



Mississippi claims to be the home of the Blues. Does that sound familiar to anyone else? They have something called the Mississippi Blues Trail where the commission is putting up markers all over the states historical sites that represent the growth of the blues. I know we talked about Elvis and the blues in Tennessee but Elvis was actually born and raised in Mississippi. And both Tennessee and Mississippi claim to be the birthplace of the blues.... I think y'all should arm wrestle over it!

The largest city in Mississippi and the state capital is Jackson. I don't want to plagiarize their travel brochure so you should just check it out yourself. Jackson has lots of cultural events and attractions, you sure not to be bored.

I tend to forget that Mississippi was also hit hard by Hurricane Katrina but it was. The rusty-trusty Internet says that all counties in Mississippi were declared a disaster area. Wow! I was just reading on about all the destruction that Katrina caused the coastal areas and it's just insane. What great strength the members of towns like Biloxi show by rebuilding their communities.

What do you think about this fun little fact. Mississippi's Coastal area claims the Magnolia State Rocker... the largest rocking chair standing 35 feet tall made out of real pine. That chair was made for Paul Bunyan.



I'm sure that I am missing a 1,000 quaint little spots and historical notes... share what you know!

Mississippi's fun facts include the Magnolia as the state flower, the state toy is the teddy bear, and the state bird is the Mockingbird.



All Mississippians meet on the Magnolia Deck Friday, June 13th to tell us what makes Mississippi the Taste of USA!

M - I - crooked letter - crooked letter - I - crooked letter - crooked letter - I - hump back - hump back - I!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CKB would love that BIG rocking chair!

The only thing I know about Mississippi is that Tupelo is the absolute hottest place in North America if you factor in humidity!

Seriously, that place is ridiculously hot!!!!

Also I have some fond memories of spending time in Pascagoula which is also hot but a little more tolerable than Tupelo.