Thursday, July 10, 2008

Welcome all Cowboys, Mountaineers & Cajuns

Wyoming is the least populated state in the United States.

West Virginia is a land of beautiful mountains.

And, Louisiana is home to those crazy Cajuns who bring us tons of fun.

Welcome to the Equality State!



In 1869- just 100 years before I was born- Wyoming was the first state to grant women the right to vote. Wyoming is my Hero! :) And, lots of cowboys live there.

One of the biggest tourism destination in Wyoming is Yellowstone National Park. This is a haven for bears, elk, moose, wolves, badgers, otters and fox. Geysers, waterfalls and rivers all being preserved for our hiking, camping and outdoor adventures. But frankly, all those bear warnings scare me. Hotel please!

Just south of Yellowstone National Park is Jackson Hole. This is a fun little town. When I went, we went white water rafting on the Snake River but nothing too crazy. We went to Teton Village where there are lots of events happening throughout the year. When we went, American Indians were selling their wares and the Indian culture. The town is just great town to experience so much.



My mom and family sent me a lot of great photos from Wyoming... that's my mom throwing SNOW in JUNE! Don't forget to check out Cody, Cheyenne, and Gillette. What do love about Wyoming?

Welcome to the Mountain State!



While discovering West Virginia on the Internet, the thing that has been impressed upon me is outdoor activities. Skiing, hiking, camping, white water rafting, and anything related to being outdoors is here. What does this mean: "The Allegheny Mountain range raises its lofty spine, with peaks rising to 4,000 feet, right down the center of West Virginia's Potomac Highlands." Okay. All I know is you can climb some tall mountains!



West Virginia, while not the smallest state, does rank 41st in size and 50th in total water area. Charleston is going to be largest city with shopping, museums and music. The Avampato Discovery Museum and Berkeley Springs State Park (with hot springs) both received high ratings but they either did not have a web site or the link was not working. You're on your own.

Tell me, have you been to West Virginia? What was the best part?

Welcome to the Bayou State!

Oh. My. God. I love me some Louisiana and well really, New Orleans! If you're from Dallas, you've probably been on a road trip to Shreveport in the 1990's when you were young to watch the horse races or to go gambling. I'm sure those things are still there. You hear the words Baton Rouge and know they belong in Louisiana and you know it's the state capital.

But when you say Louisiana, most people think of New Orleans! I can just taste the fresh oysters on a half shell, the red beans and rice, shrimp cooked every way possible, crawdads boiled up spicy and that sweet yummy hurricane tickling my head. And then the busy sites and all the jazzed up music- how can you not love New Orleans? I have never been during Mardi Gras and it's not really a time I would choose to go because it's way too crowded. I've been there a few times and it's just always so festive. A celebration around every corner. Keep on rebuilding New Orleans! We're here for you!

Whew, all of that and only one link to where you should go. How about the House of Blues? One of my favorites. (Don't miss out on their Sunday Brunch and Gospel Singers) Bourbon Street is full of restaurants and bars. Jackson Square the French Quarter are a must. How about the zoo or the aquarium?



Am I being completely bias about New Orleans? Absolutely! Did I mention I love their accents? i do! I could listen to that Cajun accent all day! I'm sure there are other really great places in Louisiana but I can only see New Orleans. So, what do you love about Louisiana?



Fun Facts for Wyoming are: state animal is the Bison, the state flower is the Indian Paint and the state bird, once again is the Meadowlark. Fun facts for West Virginia are: the state animal is the Black Bear, the state flower is the Big Laurel and the state bird is the cardinal. Fun facts for Louisiana are the state dog is the Catahoula Leopard Dog, the state flower is the Magnolia and the state bird is the Brown Pelican.

All Wyomingites report to the Equality Deck,
all West Virginians report to the Potomac Deck,
and all Louisianians report to the Cajun Deck
on Friday, July 11th to tell us what makes Wyoming, West Virginia and Louisiana the Taste of USA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Folks,

I am passionate about my adopted homeplace of Berkeley Springs, WV and direct you to our award-winning and well-stocked Website -- www.berkeleysprings.com.

I am equally passionate about my adopted homestate of West Virginia and, while not trying to be too commercial, suggest that if you REALLY want to know what is best about WV, either as a read or a visit, get my book: Way Out In West Virginia. It is both the best selling book on the state and was voted best book about WV in 2006. It's reasonably priced so I'm not in this for the money but to let people know that there is more to WV than its beautiful outdoors.