Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Welcome to the Granite State

Live Free or Die! That's New Hampshire's motto. It's kind of rebellious don't you think. I like it. New Hampshire is one of our smallest states at 190 miles in length by 70 miles wide and home of Robert Frost's road less taken.



Since we're in the middle of summer, I thought we would start New Hampshire at the beach. There site does a great job at describing what you can and will discover on the coast of New Hampshire, I thought I'd pass along the link. Hampton Beach still has plenty of festivals and events throughout the summer- one of them being a Seafood Festival! You know I love seafood!



And though I do really love the summer, I'm a fan of fall, too. School starts back and you get new notebooks, pencils and clothes. (Hmm... no wonder I like it) A new football season starts and fans are excited about the games. The air starts to turn cooler and the leaves change to their fall outfits as well. Both of my boys were born in the Fall. Drew on Halloween and JB's birthday is near Thanksgiving. (As a kid this was my favorite holiday. Even over Christmas.) And what does fall bring you in New Hampshire? The Keene Pumpkin Festival! There are carved pumpkins everywhere! They light around 25,000 pumpkins each year at the festival. There are hayrides, a parade, lots of entertainment, and a seed spitting contest! 2008's festival is scheduled for October 25th. Mark your calendars!



So, since we're talking seasons today let's not stop at fall. Skiing straight into winter in Jefferson, New Hampshire, they have an amusement park called Santa's Village! Not all the rides are operational during the snowy winters but some are and Santa is there to greet you and listen to your list. Fun! Even though I don't really like the snow, it is very beautiful around Christmas time. I'm sure you can find even more to do in New Hampshire for the holidays.



There is still so much to do. Like planning a History Lovers Tour, go to Lake Winnipesaukee (say that three times really fast), or have an outdoor adventure camping, hiking and fishing.

So, this boat is sailing but we still have time for you to tell us what you love about New Hampshire. Go ahead, I dare you.

Fun facts for New Hampshire are:
the state butterfly is the Karner Blue,

the state flower is the lilac,

and the state birds is the Purple Finch.

All New Hampshirites please report to the Granite Deck on Friday, July 18th to tell us what makes New Hampshire the Taste of USA!

No comments: