Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Welcome to the Quaker State!

Yesterday Delaware and today, it's neighbor, Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania was the second state to join the Union. Before we get too far into Pennsylvania, Highlowaha.com readers, Tera & Treye are getting married this weekend so I would just like to take a moment and wish them well! Good luck! I'm sure everything will run smoothly!
Now, where should we start in Pennsylvania? (Goodness! I'm learning I'm terrible at geography. I knew the states were close together in the east but when you live in a huge state like Texas and it takes hours upon hours to exit the state it just seems weird how close Philadelphia is to Manhattan. Now that I've had my Aha, I stink at geography moment, let's move on.)


Our first stop is none other than Hershey, PA! Can you say chocolate? I can! For the thrill seeker in you, we'll go to Hershey Park. We can ride roller coasters, splash at the Boardwalk, or view the animals at ZooAmerica. It looks like we might need a couple of days for the fun and excitement. But the one stop we have to make is Chocolate World!



Next stop, Pittsburgh. We can, of course, find a lot of sporting events while in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Penguins I think will keep us busy all year long. We've already missed a ton of festivals but there are still a ton left to visit in the second half of the year. All of that sounds fun but I really want to visit the Frank Lloyd Wright master pieces and mostly Fallingwater. Technically not exactly in Pittsburgh. It's in Laurel Heights but close enough. I know we have Pennsylvania readers out there... where's your favorite spot in Pittsburgh?



Pennsylvania is the 6th most populated state in the Union and it surprisingly has a lot of outdoor activities. Actually, I learned the name Pennsylvania comes from the Quaker, William Penn, who was granted the land by King Charles II. And the word Sylvania means woodlands in Latin. Penn's woods. You will still find Quakers living in Pennsylvania. Living a much slower paced life than the rest of us. I think I'd like to spend a year living like them but wait, I bet they don't blog. Never mind. Maybe a tour will be enough.


The last stop I'm taking you on today is Philadelphia. So famous it has a sandwich named after it. The yummy Philly Cheesesteak! yum! There are too many shops to even guess which one is best. So-let's hear from you, where's the best Philly Cheesesteak?



There is Historic Philadephilia where you will find the Betsy Ross House, Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell is close by, or let's go to the burial grounds of Christ Church! We can see where Benjiman Franklin was buried.
Claudia knows how much I love firemen so this trip wouldn't be complete without stopping at the Fireman's Hall Museum. And, we might have to stop by and watch the Philadelphia Eagles play or maybe the Phillies play baseball.

I have just barely scratched the surface and I know you can fill us in on all the juicy details!

Fun facts for Philadephia are: the state flower is the Mountain Laurel, the state dog is the Great Dane, and the state game bird is the ruffed grouse.



All Pennsylvanians meet on the Keystone Deck July 11th to tell us what makes Pennsylvania the Taste of USA!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay...home sweet home! Erie is the 4th largest city in PA behind Philly, Pittsburgy and Allentown.

Erie is beautiful in the summer and fall. And oh so cold in the winter and even "spring". We like to refer to our seasons as winter, still winter, warming up a bit, and almost winter.

My favorite part of Erie is the beaches at Presque Isle State Park. http://www.presqueisle.org/ You don't have to be on the coast to enjoy the beautiful beach. Also close to the beach you'll find the new Tom Ridge Environmental Center and Waldermeer Park & Waterworld.

As I've mentioned before, Erie is also home to Dari Creem - the creator of the original Blue Moon ice cream. Since they are closing for good at the end of August, I'll be celebrating ice cream month a little late this year. I plan to eat ice cream every day during August.

I bet it's fair to say that there are more bars and churches in Erie than most other cities in the country. Good for the drunk Cahtolics you find here ;)

Erie is between a hour and a half and two hours from Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo too! So when you run out of things to do here, you can go explore the big city.

Come visit!

Cheryl Houston said...

Thanks for the input on Erie, Tera!! This is my question... if the seasons are winter, still winter, warming up a bit, and almost winter... when do you enjoy the beaches? In that "warming up a bit" season? Oh my! Sounds... burrrrrr cold.

maureen said...

I know Im late but I had to leave something. PA is home away from home. My parents own a home in Albrightsville (Poconos) PA. I love PA!!!! My favorite place is Hershey Park. I go there every August. It is a family tradition. We stay in Lancaster and go to Hershey, Tanger, Dutch Wonderland etc. My kids are in love with Hershey Park. We have been going there for the past 13 summers. I am leaving to go on August 10th until the 14th. I cant wait!!

I just had to leave my input because I plan on buying a summer home there one day soon. I would love to buy one in Lancaster somewhere!!!!

Brian K. Root said...

Good 'ol western PA has been my home for all 26 years of my life... and I love it!

Unknown said...

I like Tera grew up in Erie and also must say that Presque Isle is probably the big selling point of the area! The beaches are fun...but I enjoy the miles of sidewalks that I use to rollerblade.

The summer in Erie is also great because there are always free concerts either at the Pepsi Amplitheater down on the Bay or during the block parties on State Street.

Waldameer, the theme park at the entrance of Presque Isle, is also a great time and the Waterpark is fabulous!

Come check it out!!