Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Welcome to the Pine State

When visiting Maine we can choose from several tours. Boat tours, bridges, lighthouses or scenic byways. I have never been to Maine and I totally romanticize it. It's a place that I would like to visit late spring, summer or early fall. Not winter. Maine is known as the Pine State due to the large amount of forests that cover the state- about 90%.

Maine was the 23rd state to join the US and became the leader in shipbuilding. They began with the wooden boats moving to steel. The first atomic submarine was built in Maine. Today, Maine produces more canoes than any other state. They also supply the materials for cardboard boxes, wood pulp, paper and our beloved paper bags.



It's been a while since I featured a festival. Maine produces large amounts of blueberries. The Blueberry Festival is held in Union, Maine. They have the usual fair and festival activities including blueberry pie eating contest and Ms. Wild Blueberry pageant.



While looking at their site, I suddenly noticed I was drooling. They flash pictures of cooked lobster on the screen. Yummy! I hoped to be able to find a Lobster Festival and boy did I! The Main Lobster Festival is held in Rockland, Maine. It's coming up July 30th and runs through August 3rd. How many lobsters do you think I would have to eat to be sick of them? They look so delicious. I was checking out a menu and I love seafood so the sounds of clam chowder, crab cakes, shrimp salad, crab salad, lobster bisque... oh! to die for!



Okay, enough about food. Maine has approximately 30 lighthouses that allow public visitors in every shape and size. There are many popular lighthouses but the one that caught my eye was the West Quoddy Head Lighthouse with it's red and white candy stripes. They're all beautiful and this one is, too. But this one has something whimsical about it that I like. Isn't it beautiful?




I had a tough time choosing one beach to feature today but I picked Old Orchard Beach. The seven mile stretch of sandy beaches also features amusement parks, miniature golf, canoe and kayak tours and rentals, lighthouses, shopping and so, so much more. There are more beaches and a lot more outdoor adventures for us to explore. One of those being whale watching.



Our time is up here in Maine and I haven't featured one city. Where and what is your favorite thing and/or place in Maine?

Fun facts for Maine are:
the state bird is the chickadee,


the state floral emblem is the pine cone and tassels,


and the state animal is the moose.

All Mainers report to the Lobster Deck on Friday, July 18th to tell us what makes Maine the Taste of USA!

1 comment:

maureen said...

I went to Lake Sabego (I hope its spelled right) when I was about 18. It was gorgeous. I also stayed in Bangor and Moosehead Lake. It was the first (and last) time I ever saw a real live moose. God was it huge. I loved Maine. I havent been back but its somewhere I want to take my kids.