Monday, July 21, 2008

Welcome to the Peach State

Welcome to Georgia!



We'll start our cruise today in Atlanta where we can find a little or lot of everything to do. Ready to visit the animals? They're at the Atlanta Zoo and the Georgia Aquarium. Sports fans can tee up at over 85 public, semi-public or private course throughout Atlanta, soak in an Atlanta Braves game or catch a football game and cheer for the Atlanta Falcons! Adventure seekers can ride the roller coasters at Six Flags over Georgia or hike Stone Mountain Park. The shoppers can experience UNDERGROUND Atlanta or any other of the 6 local malls. Atlanta has it all.



Our next stop is down to the coast to visit Savannah. We have a lot to choose from in Savannah as well. Do you want to take a dolphin cruise or a carriage ride? Should we go ghost and grave hunting? They have so many tours for ghost hunting, there must be a lot of ghosts. We can send the men off golfing and the ladies can spend the day shopping. Our history buffs can visit any one or all five historic/forts to learn about the colonial days. Savannah has some secrets that you can learn about but one that I thought was interesting to our blogs is that the Girls Scouts of the USA was founded by Juliette Gordon Low in Savannah in 1912 and her childhood home is now the National Headquarters for the organization.



Our last stop on today's cruise is in Macon, Georgia, Cherry Blossom Capital of the World. What really caught my eye was The Georgia Music Hall of Fame where they celebrate many artists but one of favorites, Otis Redding. There's also the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame and the Georgia's Children's Museum. Be sure to check out their full list of shopping, spas, arts and entertainment listings because there is so much more.

Now, if there was only one song that I could listen to for the rest of my life , Sittin' on the Dock of Bay by Otis Redding would be that song. It's my song. He left his home in Georgia, headed for the Frisco Bay. He had nothing to live for so he's just going to sit on the dock of the bay... wasting time.



Fun facts for Georgia are: The state floral emblem is the Cherokee Rose, the state bird is the Brown Thrasher and the state fruit is the peach.



All Georgians report to the Peach Deck on THURSDAY, July 24th to tell us what makes Georgia the Taste of USA!

2 comments:

maureen said...

I always drive from NY to Florida. I love it because we get to see something in each state. I would love to sightsee in Georgia but the last 3 times I was there we had no time. I figured I might as well make a post in case Georgia is left out in the cold like the New England states LOL

Cheryl Houston said...

My exes aunt and uncle live outside of Atlanta and we visited there several times. They were family trips and not a whole lot of sight seeing so I didn't see much of Georgia. We did go to the Underground one time but I try to block it out as best as I can due to the fact that I was the only girl (I was around the age of 26 or so) in a car with 4 late teen/early 20's boys. It was a bit traumatizing.